Are believed to be the building blocks of the universe. In many pagan practices there are 5 elements earth, air, fire, water and spirit/divine. Though it is not unheard of for there to be more then just the 5. It is believed that everything in the world around us contains one or more of these elemental energies.
Air is an masculine element and governs the magick of the four winds. The air is vital to the survival of all life for without air, we would all perish. Air is the power of movement, of freshening and of intelligence being air is seen as the power of the mind. Aiding in the works of visualization, new possibilities, travel, instruction, lost items, freedom and divination. Remember as always we possess the energy of Air within ourselves.
* Direction: East.
*Attributes: Abstract Learing, Creativity of Mind, Intuition, Intellect, Breath, Mental Powers, Towers, Rules of Mind, Thought, Visions, Ideologies, Ideas, Wind, Imagination, Physic Powers, Wisdom, Peaks, Theory, Windswept Hills, Plains, High Mountains, Knowledge
* Type of energy: Projective.
* Basic nature: Flying, moving, fresh, intelligent, suspending. Sound is a manifestation of this element.
* Color: Yellow
* Places: Mountaintops, wind-swept plains, cloudy skies, high towers, airports, schools, libraries, offices, travel agencies, psychiatrist's offices.
* Rituals: The Mind, All mental, intuitive and psychic work, knowledge, abstract learning, wind and breath, inspiration, hearing, harmony, herbal knowledge, plant growth, intellect thought and growth, travel, freedom, revealing the truth, finding lost things, psychic abilities, instruction, telepathy, study, memory, to contact the angels, the ability to know and understand, to unlock the secrets of the dead, zen meditation, brainstorms, beginnings, illuminations
* Ritual forms: Tossing objects into the air, suspending tools in high places, fanning light objects, visualization, positive thinking.
* Plants: Primrose, Vervain, Yarrow, Frankincense, Myrhh, Violet
* Herbs: Fragrant, as many flowers; pungent, as in culinary herbs such as dill; airy, finely-veined, or wind-swept; generally leaves.
* Stones: Light stones, such as pumice. Amber, Lapis Lazuli, Flourite, Smokey Quartz, Rose Quartz, transparent stones such as mica.
*Jewel: Topaz, Sapphire
* Musical instrument: Flute, all wind instruments.
* Creatures: Spider, winged insects, eagle, hawk, sphinx
* Season: Spring.
* Time: Dawn.
* Magickal tools: Wand, athame, censor, sword, bells
* Sense: Hearing, smell.
* Natural symbols: A feather, incense smoke, fragrant flowers.
* Types of magical rules: Divination, concentration, visualization, wind magick.
*Zodiac: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
*Planet: Mercury, Jupiter
*Element spirit: faeries, the lilitu (wind spirits), slyphs, sprites
*Goddess: Aditi (the Unfettered), Aerope, aphrodite, Aradia, Arianrhod, Cardea (Queen of Winds), Cybele, Hathor, Hera, Iris, Lilith, Maman Brigette, Mary, Nuit, Oya, Semiramis, Urania (Queen of Winds)
*Gods: Aether, anu, Ariel, Baal (Rider of the Clouds), Boreas, Enlil (Lord Wind), Favonius, Gabriel, Haddad, Horus, Hurakan, Indra, Jupiter, Khepera-Marduk, Mercury, Michael, Mithras, Njoerd (Lord of the Fair Winds), Orion, Quetzalcoatl, Shu, Thoth, Typhon (Lord of Destructive Winds), Uranus, Yahweh, Zephyrus, Zeus
One of the ways to symbolize the element of air in casting is with incense I thought you would all like this recipe.
1 part frankincense
1 part Sandalwood
1 part Cinnamon
1 part Nutmeg
A few drops Orange oil
A few drops clove oil
Combine and burn to help sharpen your psychic powers.