Are believed to be the building blocks of the universe. In many pagan practices there are 5 elements earth, air, fire, water and spirit/divine. Though it is not unheard of for there to be more then just the 5. It is believed that everything in the world around us contains one or more of these elemental energies.
Fire is a masculine element and governs all candle magick. Fire is a creator and destroyer. It warms the homes we live in, cooks the food we eat, and fuels our passions. Unlike the other elements, Fire cannot exist in physical form without consuming something else. It is for this reason that fire is seen as a transforming element. Changing objects into new forms: heat, light, ash, and smoke. Immerse yourself in the energy of fire by placing your hand on a warm rock, smell the smoke from a burning fire or gazing into a candles flame. By doing so one comes to realize that fire also exists within one’s self. Fire is believed to need to be controlled to be of benefit to us. When we light a candle, we call upon its powers, but also limit them. With this said we must also learn to control the fire within ourselves. Fire is the element of change, passion, authority, leadership, creativity, motivation, will power, drive and sensuality. It is sexuality, both physical and spiritual. Fire is essential to spells and rituals of healing, purification, sex, breaking bad habits or destroying illness and disease.
* Direction: South.*Attributes: Candle flames, Courage, Blood, Energy, Bonfires, Destroying, Heath, Will, Lust, Youth, Sun, Spirit of the Flesh, Purification, Transformation, Sexuality, Passion, Strength, Vitality, Volcanoes, Violence, Hope.
* Type of energy: Projective.
* Basic nature: Purifying, destructive, cleansing, energetic, sexual, forceful. Heat is a manifestation of this element.
* Color: Red - from the color of flames
* Places: Deserts, hot springs, volcanoes, ovens, fireplaces, bedrooms (for sex), weight rooms, locker rooms, saunas, athletic fields.
* Rituals: Energy, spirit, heat, flame, blood, sap, life, will, healing and destroying, purification, bonfires, hearth fires, candle flames, sun, eruptions, explosions freedom, change, sight, perception, vision, illumination, learning, love, passions, sexuality, authority, destruction, change, will, the will to dare, creativity, loyalty, force, transformation, protection, courage, strength, higher self, success, refinement, the arts, evolutions, faith, physical exercise, work nurturance, vitality, self-knowledge, power.
* Ritual forms: Burning, fuming or smoldering of an image, herb or other object
candles or small blazes, heating.
candles or small blazes, heating.
*Plants: Garlic, Onions, Mustard, Red Peppers
* Herbs: Stinging, thorny or hot, as thistles, chile peppers and bouganvillia; desert-dwelling, as cacti; stimulating, as coffee beans; generally seeds.
* Stones: Red or fiery, as in jasper; volcanic, as in lava; clear, as in quartz crystal.
* Jewel: Fire opal, pyrite, amethyst, fire garnet
*Oils: Basil, Bay, Cedarwood, Cinnamon, Clove, Frankincense, Lime, Orange, Peppermint, Rosemary
* Musical instrument: Guitar, all stringed instruments.
* Creatures: Snake, cricket, lizard, praying mantis, ladybug, bee, scorpion, shark, lion, fire-breathing dragon.
* Season: Summer.
* Time: Noon.
* Magickal tool: Knife/Athame.
* Sense: Sight.
* Natural symbols: Flame, lava, a heated object.
* Types of magickal rules: Candle, storm, time and star.
* Zodiac: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
* Planet: Sun, Mars, Jupiter
* Element spirit: Firedrakes, Salamanders
* Goddesses: Astarte, Ashtoreth, Bastet, Berecyntia, Brighid (Lady of the Hearth), Hestia, Ishtar, Kali, Minerva, Belisima, Oynyena Maria (Fiery Mary), Pele, Pyrrha (the Red One), Sekhmet, Vesta (the Shining One)
* Gods: Agni (the Purifier, the All-Possessor, the Resplendent, the Divine Fire), Ariel, Baal, Bel, Belenus, Chango, Govannon, Hephaestus, Horus (the Mighty One of Transformation), Michael, Mulciber, Ogun, Prometheus (who stole fire), Raphael, Shiva, Surya, Uriel (Flame of God), Velchanus, Vishnu, Vulcan
Fire protection and Binding spell
Of course since the element of fire governs over candle magick I am going to share a candle spell.
Black candle (one that drips well is best)
Picture of the person causing you harm (if you don't have a picture then write on a piece of paper as much info about the person as possible)
Cast your circle and light the candle. Fold the picture or paper. Begin to wrap the ribbon around the picture or paper left to right. As you wrap the ribbon say:
"I bind you (name here) from causing further harm
in my life and those of the ones I love.
I bind and remove all power you
may have over me or may send towards me."
Visualize the white ribbon acting as a white light wrapping around the person and removing all bad energy they have been sending to you.
Once the ribbon is fully wrapped around the image or paper you take the black candle and drip the wax over the wrapped item. Coating it completely, so this part will take some time. As you coat the paper or picture see the black wax protecting you and your loved ones from this person.
When it is coated to your liking place in a safe place, where no one will disturb it. Check on it every two months. If there are cracks, breaks in the wax this could mean the person is breaking through the protection. All you need to do is recoat with more black candle wax.