Are believed to be the building blocks of the universe. In many pagan practices there are 5 elements earth, air, fire, water and spirit/divine. Though it is not unheard of for there to be more then just the 5. It is believed that everything in the world around us contains one or more of these elemental energies.
Water is a feminine element and governs spells involving mirrors. The energy of this element is vital to our comfort as humans, for it contains within it the essence of love. Water is a love element. It washes over us like a wave when we see our mates, supports us when we swim within it, gives us life when we are dehydrated. Move your hand through a stream, lake, pool, or bowl full of water. Feel its cool essences it's soft touch. Listen to water trickling about into a pool. As you do these things, remember that we contain Water energy within ourselves as well. Water is the cleansing, healing, psychic, loving element. It is purification, intuition, mysteries of the self, compassion and family, friendship, marriage, happiness, fertility, and pleasure.
* Direction: West.
* Attributes: Charity, Dreams, Emotion, Love, Intuition, Sorrow, Meditation, Healing, Friendship, Oceans, Tides, Moon, Fertility, Birth, Rivers, Mystery, Fidelity, Womb, Courage, Springs, Wells
* Type of Energy: Receptive.
* Basic Nature: Flowing, purifying, healing, soothing, loving.
* Color: Blue
* Places: Lakes, springs, streams, rivers, beaches, oceans, wells, swimming pools, bathtubs, showers, bedrooms (for sleep), health spas, steam rooms, fountains.
* Rituals: Purification, love, psychic awareness, dreams, sleep, peace, marriage, friendships.
* Ritual Forms: Dilution, placing into water, washing away, bathing.
* Plants: Fern, Moss, Rush, Seaweed, Lotus, Water Lilies
* Herbs: Aquatic, such as water lillies and seaweed; fleshy, as in succulents and lettuce; loving, as in rose and gardenial; generally flowers.
* Stones: Transparent or translucent, as in amethyst and aquamarine; blue, as in blue tourmaline.
* Jewel: crystal, coral, jade, pearl
* Musical Instrument: Cymbal, bell, all resonant metals.
* Creatures: Cat, frog, turtle, dolphin, whale, otter, seal, dugong; most fish and shellfish.
* Season: Autumn.
* Time: Dusk.
* Magickal Tool: Cup, the cauldron.
* Sense: Taste.
* Natural Symbols: Shells, a cup of water.
* Types of Magick Rules: Sea, ice, snow, fog, mirror, magnet.
* Zodiac: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
* Planet: Moon, Saturn, Neptune, Venus
* Element Spirit: Undines and Merfolk
* Goddesses: Amphitrite (Goddess of Salt Waters), Anahita (the Great Goddess of Waters), Aphrodite, Anadyomene, artemis, Asherah of the Sea, Astarte, Atargatis, Carmenta, Cerridwen, Erzulie, Eurynome, Gwenhwyfar (the Mermaid), Ishtar, Isis, Kupala, Luonnotar (the water Mother), Marina, Mari, Minerva (navigation), the Naiads, the Nereids, the Oceanids, Ondines, Oshun, Sarasvati (Flowing Water), the Telchines (the Sea Children), Tethys, Thetis, Tiamat, Yemaya
* Gods: Haddad, Aegir, Apsu (the Deep), Ariel, Baal, Cephissus, Dylan (Son of the Wave), Ea (God of Sweet Waters, Lord of the House of Water), enlil, Enki, Gabriel, Ganymede, Glaucus, Hapi, Llyr, Manannan, Mac Lir, Michael, Neptune, Nereus (the Old Man of the Sea), Njoerd, Oceanus, Osiris of the Mysteries (who springs from the returning waters), Poseidon, Proteus, Raphael, Triton, Typhon
The easiest way for us to connect to water is by taking a bath. I thought I would share a recipe that has to do with love as well since water is so connected to love.
4 drops Ylang Ylang
4 drops Ylang Ylang
2 drops Clary Sage
1 drop Bergamot
1 drop Bergamot
1 drop Sandalwood
Mix the oils throughout the bath water. Light some candles and play soothing music.